Monday, April 13, 2009

Chipmunk story #3 ?? - Nope, not this time...


Thursday, February 17, 2005 (AM)


Seven months later…The "Tail" of the White Weasel (part 1):

It began as a slow morning after broken sleep (night sweats will do that). The routine began. While [Hubby] was in the shower, I began to make my lunch. I started by cleaning up the counter a little and throwing away some used plastic wrap. As I made my lunch, I heard the sound of plastic moving. Ah, the plastic wrap was unfolding in the garbage. Nothing to think twice about. Finishing the lunch packing process, I stopped. The sound had moved. It was no longer under the sink. It was under my work-area. This was something to think twice about. Tapping the cabinet door, the sound stopped. Unsure quite what to do, I waited until [Hubby] got out of the shower to announce that something 'alive' was under our kitchen cabinets. I monitored the sounds while he got dressed. After a bit, I realized that it didn't sound like mouse noises. It sounded bigger and faster. This was closer to chipmunk noises.

I peeked into the cabinet under the sink and something launched. I slammed the door shut and convinced myself to start breathing again. I didn't actually see anything but the white garbage bag... or so I thought at the time.

[Hubby] and I donned our gloves and flashlights and started slowly opening cabinets. The slow and careful emptying of the cabinets of griddles and small appliances ensued. [Hubby] spotted a flash of white. It was not a chipmunk. Much larger, much faster! It was a weasel!

[Actually, greased lightning on little feet was what it was! Wow! We thought chipmunks could move fast!]

At one point it had hunkered down at the base of the garbage can and was watching [Hubby]. It didn't seem afraid. It even arched up on it's back feet to get a good look at [Hubby], so we got a good look at it, too. Intense black eyes, pink ears and all white fur (tail and feet). I can imagine that this must be where the 'snow snake' story got started with its long, thin tube of a body and intense staring eyes. I'd never seen one up close before. It was really quite a beautiful little animal in its winter white coat.

It lost interest after a little bit and [Hubby] tried very hard to approach slowly and corral the critter, but it was a flash of white and it was gone again. Mind you, it is now 6am and there is just enough time for [Hubby] to get his lunch packed and his uniform on before we have to go to Missoula.

As such, this story is "to be continued". We didn't catch it. I imagine (and hope) that it will find its way out along the same path that brought it in. However, we will do a search for it after my doctor's appointment this afternoon... and before [Hubby] has to go to a church committee meeting at 6:30. Alas, never a dull moment... and few moments of rest in between.

P.S. A name for our little "ermine" has not yet been chosen.

P.P.S. This could be a blessing in disguise. Where there are weasels, there won't be any mice!

--------------------------------------------
Side note: The doctor's appointment was a meeting to discuss the beginning of treatment options for what has since been diagnosed as a complex form of migraine called "Bickerstaff's Migraine", which causes me to have bouts of dizziness (lateral shifting of equilibrium as opposed to 'spins') that, at that time, would go from mere seconds to weeks on end.
--------------------------------------------

Well, my time is up. Until we meet again...
Godspeed & God bless

6 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Good gracious, there's never a dull moment around your place!

You all better watch out for those weasels. You know they eat squirrels...I spent a couple of winters working at a ski area, when I was younger. We had a similar creature that could get into the lodges at will. He loved sweets. He'd chew into the boxes of cinnamon rolls and eat the frosting. Of course, we'd throw out anything he got into, but we sure didn't want the health department finding out about him!We discretely referred to him as "Mr. Marten".

Mrs. Squirrel said...

The thought of camp 'companions' brings back a lot of fond memories of childhood. :) ...and I've seen Pine Martens before - much larger than our little ermine! [But still very cute!]

The upcoming post for 'part 2' pretty much concludes our adventures with wildlife inside the house. The barrier we built for the weasel pretty much identified the primary mouse access, too. So, with the added weasel scent under the cabinets, we pretty much stopped getting mice. We did have the occasional mouse starting about six months later, but we've not had a mouse inside the house for going on two years, now.

Blessings in disguise!

Our most common critter story at this point involves watching the 'Zippy Chipmunks' frolic in the wood piles and occasionally dashing over and around our front porch. We also have the rare (but always a pleasure) woodland bunnies! This past winter, we also had a moose track through the yard, but those are even more rare than the bunnies! [And no-body messes with the moose!]

Oops. Gotta get back to work. Have a great day!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I meant to ask you... and then wondered if it was too personal... but since you mentioned it...

the night sweats?

Are you okay?

I associate night sweats with cancer, but you mentioned a migraine and dizziness... everything okay?

Julie

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Thanks for your caring. [Big hug.] No, it's just the pre-menopause thing. My body started this new 'adventure in physiology' back in 2004 (at the age of 37) - at the same time all this dizziness stuff started. We went through the tests for all the 'scary stuff' (i.e. stroke, siezues, MS, etc.) and nothing showed up. [Thank God.] The dizziness is caused by the migraines, but the hormones are driving the migraines. So I tend to have stronger migraine type reactions before & during 'that time of the month'.

...except when the migraines are driven by exposure to strong scents or anything with distinct fragrances. I've had to go to fragrance-free laundry detergents, fabric softeners and deodorant. I also have to keep a face mask at my desk so I can escape from 'visitors' or coworkers who seem to have to marinate in perfumes. UGH.

It's really amazing how many products contain 'fragrance'... even the 'unscented' stuff has fragrance stuff in it! [Check the label sometime, it shocked me!]

The sad part is, the first 2-3 years of working with a neurologist for the migraines, we found out (sometimes dramatically) that my body does not deal well with the available medications. So I tend to have to just 'deal with it'. [I can take Extra Strength Excedrin for pain, though. One tablet usually gets things back to functional. I'll take a second one after a few hours if it's really bad.]

I'm actually hoping to include posts in my blog about the migraine information I've learned about and some of the coping skills I've developed. I hated going though it alone (most doctors thought I was faking it - GRRR) and it may help someone 'out there' to know that they aren't alone. :)

Thanks so much for asking! [If you ever ask something too personal, I'll suggest an email conversation. So, no worries!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Glad to hear it :0)

My husband went through cancer, so the "night sweats" worried me.

My aunt is also allergic to fragrance, and gets migraines. Worse yet, she's lost her sense of smell and can't tell when she's being exposed.

Well, at least (pre)menopause will eventually pass... I have a friend from Texas who says, "I'm just havin' a personal summer."

Hang in there :0)

Julie

Mrs. Squirrel said...

I have complete sympathy for your Aunt. It's awful to get blind-sided by walking into a wall of 'scent'... it must be even worse to not have that initial warning. You have no choice but to 'linger too long' by default.

I have a good friend who works in this office as well. He is life-threateningly allergic to fragrances. He carries two epi-kits at all times and has used them here at work on a number of occasions. [Encountering people who are not only clueless, but who just don't care.] He amazed me with his calm demeanor when he told me that his doctor told him: "This is what you will die from." Wow.

I count myself blessed that my reactions are not nearly as severe... and they may go away once I finally reach menopause. [That's my hope anyway.]
:)