Monday, April 27, 2009

Decisions, decisions...


I am faced with a decision that I'm having trouble making. Nothing life threatening, but still difficult for a person like me. Typically, I just wait until situations prove themselves one way or the other, but I'm not sure it will wait that long in this case.

Let me explain.

Currently, the financial situation in our lives is rather strapped. We've been on a single income for a while, but we're still making the payments and paying the bills with not much left over. Little luxuries (like dining out) are few and far between, but they are not taken for granted when they visit.

Background: I have recently been given what has been called birthday & Christmas money for this year. It is a generous balance to a beautiful set of necklaces found and given to my twin sister for her birthday/Christmas gifts for this year. [i.e. Mom found a gift that just 'called' my sister's name (a few steps more expensive than would be purchased normally) but she hasn't yet found something like that for me and decided to give me the cash equivalent - figuring I'd have more luck in the search. It's cool - we've done this for decades in our family.] It's not a huge amount, but it's enough that I would call it a huge amount. [Note: I'm the type to hold out for the 4-pack of t-shirts for $6 rather than buy the 3-pack for the same price.]

Foundational experience: Over the last 10 years, it's been common when 'extra' money has come our way, that we have shortly thereafter had some financial crisis that strips most or all of it away. [We've learned to call this God's provision for an upcoming financial need.]

The decision: 1.) Do I spend it on something that would be shared for our house (specifically, looking at a futon-couch for a spare room that we want to turn into a guest-room/library)? 2.) Do I spend it (with a slight addition of our own money) on a small lap-top computer (called a "netbook") for myself (everyone else in the family already has their own laptops, and it would be nice to 'run and play with the rest of the girls and boys')... and is currently on sale? 3.) Do I slap it into savings and wait for that financial hit that always seems to find it's way into our corner (which could start next Monday with my appointment with a new neurologist)?

It really is a toss-up in my mind that spins around in my head like a carousel. [Which is generally when I make "no decision" and wait while doing some research on the options... which is usually when the financial crisis happens.] My paranoia says to put at least part of it into savings. My desire to make comfortable and cozy places in our home says get the futon-couch and set up the library. My buried-deep "fallen nature" tells me to be selfish and get the computer. [Note: I have already found many ways to justify each choice with logic and reason.]

Ultimately, I know the decision is mine, but I would be interested in other people's thoughts, so I present this post.
----------------------------------
God bless & Godspeed

6 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh... sister!, I know this dilemma all too well!

I have a lot of trouble spending money on myself, even when it was specifically a gift to me.

Which is not meant to guilt you!

What does Mr. Squirrel say?

I bet I know :0)

Julie

The Squirrel said...

I've told her to get herself the laptop, if that is what she wants. We don't really need the futon couch, as it isn't like people are banging down our door wanting to stay with us. I want her to do what she wants to do with the money.

Of course, there is that set of books on the Scriptures that I've been wanting, if she wants to spend the money on me.

(c;

~Squirrel

Anonymous said...

As a Computer Addict, I'd say go for the laptop. ;)

Mrs. Squirrel said...

There seems to be a consensus across the board (both here and with friends at my office). [And one of them is a leading hardware guy for the company I work for, and he already owns one and he bought one for his wife.]

So, the weight is beginning to lean towards getting the computer on my side, too. It sure would be a handy little item to have.

ponder, ponder, ponder

Mrs. Squirrel said...

OK. Pondering is over. There is enough scary stuff going on in the local economy that if I don't go ahead and get the thing... my opportunities in the future will most likely be slim to none for the next several years.

I'm going to bite the bullet and get it... soon. [Don't want to lose out on the sale, either!]

Thanks for all the input. I do appreciate it!
:)

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Yea :0)