Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Prayer request continues... and update

UGH! I think it would be kinder to invest in a bullet. Just put me out of everyone else's misery.

Wow. Not only am I on the black-list for a larger number of people, I'm learning fast why people don't want to mess with anything to do with workman's comp. Yikes! And it wasn't even my idea! The company is forcing me to do it to cover its own backside.

Wow. I can't believe how this perfume issue has gone from a simple request for people to 'chat elsewhere' to a full blown workman's comp issue. It's asinine to have to demand the government step in to tell people to "play nice". I guess I was also naive enough to believe that 'upper management', particularly the personnel officer & human resources liaison, might possibly be there to HELP employees solve problems. I have learned that this is not the case. They are there to protect the company and their own backsides... then they might think about the employee. Maybe.

Today's adventures took the 'accident report' that I filled out last night and put it into the report that the HR lady is submitting to the state. When she was done, I was brought a copy to sign and date. I was given time to read it and I had questions and some concerns. I expressed those questions so that I could understand. Suddenly I'm on the receiving end of the most defensive and snarky 'explanation' I've encountered to date. [Yelling on paper is a good description, with a liberal cherry topping of: [and I quote] "Remember, this is technically my report to work comp, and I am going to write it the way I see it."

Does anyone want to add a pouty lip and a "so there!" to the end of that one?

It was all I could do not to explode back at her. I thank God's grace that my fingers can type in a very controlled fashion when my heart and brain are fighting to do otherwise. I was allowed one 'offered' change and I wrote in (and initialized) one that she refused to do on her own. Amazing. Anyway, it's done. The next step will probably happen on Tuesday after I get back (right between the eyes probably). For now, I don't care.

Wow. It's been a really long time since I've been SO GLAD TO GET OUT OF THAT OFFICE. I don't remember being in a situation where I was verbally "reamed a new one" in order to cover "someone else's", and in conjunction with being verbally slammed against the wall for asking questions and just trying to understand something - Wow. That is not fun and I was VERY ANGRY when I left the office today.

I'm much calmer now, but I think it is a very good thing that I do not have to step foot in that building for 5 days. I might be tempted do something that really would get me fired and that just won't do. So, for the next several fragrance-free & management-free days, I'm going to try to put it all out of my mind & heart (with some additional prayer that I didn't line myself up for a classic migraine to kick loose over the weekend). Being at home, internet won't be accessible unless Mr. Squirrel shares his wireless connection, So I might not actually add anything to this post/blog until next week.

Until then, I offer many thanks for any 'good thoughts', prayers or mental 'hugs' that my readers might wish to share.
-----------------------------------------
Godspeed & God bless

4 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Simply, praying for you,

Julie

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Thanks, Julie!
Consider yourself hugged :)

Craig and Heather said...

The sad thing here is that many unprincipled people have used this type of thing for their own gain. This is why HR is in the work place in the first place. Employers had to get their lawyers on staff in order to protect themselves. So, there is very little room for flexibility when there is a case like yours.

I will be praying for you, and hope God will give you wisdom and guidance.

Sounds very frustrating.

Isaiah 26:3
(3) You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You; because he trusts in You.

God doesn't need an HR department. He knows the end from the beginning and has your back. (I always tell myself that God is a good God with a perfect plan. A plan that is good for me.)

Craig

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Amen! Thanks for the good words & reminders, Craig. [You can have a hug too... with permission, of course.]

Things have been incredibly challenging, and I've been leaning heavily on God and the Christian friends He has placed around me at the office.

Although today was almost unnervingly quiet, yesterday I was nearly tearing my hair out and beginning research on the possibility of getting a moderator. Yikes! [My workman's comp case worker suggested the Department of Human Rights.]

Since this whole thing exploded, it's seemed like I've hit a time warp and 'poof' everyone involved in this situation (including the HR person) has regressed back to a High School mentality. [Although, I'm perhaps finally realizing that they may have always been that way.]

However, there are some interesting twists currently happening that may eventually become blessings (once the juvenile antics & animosity dies down a bit).

I'm actually trying to put together a new post to bring this 'saga' up to date. [If I can get my confusion and disbelief to stand aside for a while.]

In the meantime, thanks again for the prayers! They are appreciated!

God bless!