Friday, June 25, 2010

Hold the Press...

I just recieved news in the mail today that I VERY MUCH want to share with you. It's not about possible job prospects, or school prospects, but it is from my neurologist.

I'm not comfortable giving details until after I have read the documentation through, because I want to be very sure of the facts before sharing it with you...

but...

after 11 months...

THE FRAGRANCE TESTING RESULTS FROM 2009 ARE FINALLY IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By what my husband relayed to me over the phone... even though I no longer work there (so it won't help me)... once I submit the results back to the Company (with a copy to the fellow who is deathly allergic to perfumes & fragrances & who is mentioned by name within the documentation)... there may be some new policy changes in their future.

I will add new details on this subject as comments, so please feel free to check back.

Oh... I will add a few notes:
1.) I have submitted a continuation request for my training proposal. So when the new fiscal year starts (7/1), and after they do their budgeting (after the 4th would be my guess), my proposal will be resubmitted for evaluation.

2.) Although my former supervisor has (by inaction) refused to write me a letter of recommendation, a long-time coworker and senior project manager offered to write me one! [And I didn't ask her if she would!] She has a unique perspective in that she has been in the same department with me during my entire career... where as my supervisor had only been there for 5-6 years. This could actually be a better recommendation in the long run.

[NOTE: SEE WRAP-UP OF THIS ISSUE IN THE COMMENTS SECTION]

--------------------------------
God Bless & Godspeed

2 comments:

Mrs. Squirrel said...

OK. I read through the documentation and it seems that part of it is missing.

Although the "recommendations" are enough to suggest that there was INDEED an issue with fragrances, I believe the report should be as complete as it can be when I share copies with my coworker and the company. So, I will be submitting a follow-up letter to my doctor to see if she can do a bit of checking. It is possible that the "attachments" were never sent to me... or to them.

I'll keep you posted if/when I hear something back.

Cheers!

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Here is my very delayed followup and closure of the Perfume Testing Issue:

It took just over a month of some convoluted research and step-by-step permission gathering and consolidation of resulting data. However, on August 3rd, the completed packages containing all the information were hand-delivered.

Here is the letter I included as the title-page of the documentation (with private details removed):
--------------------
Hello. This is an open note to the three recipients who are receiving copies of this compiled report detailing the results of the 2009 Fragrance Testing event performed on [details removed]:

My reasons for including the three of you:

1.) [My Doctor]: As you were only given the narrative portion of the [details removed]’s report, this will give you/us a completed report for my medical records (and gives me a base line interpretation of my sensitivities, based on proximity, in parts per billion).

2.) [Company Officer]: As the [details removed], and as you mentioned last February that you had never been given a copy of the report after the tests were completed, I wanted you to have a copy.

3.) [Coworker]: As you are referred to by name in this report, you have the right to a copy.

The following is an inventory of the compiled information included in this packet:

1. This introductory note.
2. A copy of the email chain (1 page) granting permission to [detail removed] to release the lab results to me by [details removed].
3. A copy of the email chain (2 pages) containing follow-up questions and answers between me and [detail removed] after I received the two reports: Fungal and VOC.
4. A copy of the narrative report (describing dates performed, methodology, and recommendations) as sent to [detail removed] by [detail removed] (8 pages, starting with page 2).
5. A copy of the Fungal report results (18 pages).
6. A copy of the VOC testing results (7 pages).

One detail that was not clarified in either the narrative [details removed], or in the answers to my follow-up questions [details removed], was the physical location of what turned out to be the only VOC test performed on the property. On the day I was questioned, the area that I indicated to be my most consistent fragrance problem, within the vicinity of my desk, was [details removed].

I find it unfortunate that only one VOC sample was taken considering the nature of the claim and the many places within the building I had to specifically avoid because of fragrance issues.

Thank you for your time,
[my signature]

--------------------

And yes, the 'recommendations' did specifically include the instigation of a fragrance-free policy (company wide) with immediate substitution of fragrance-free soaps in all the bathrooms.

Who knows what will come of it, if anything. I will probably never find out.