Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Time to Rest...

There are days when it suddenly enters my mind that I have not had a chance to "rest". Life has been so busy just trying to keep up that I didn't realize it until I had down-time at the office. All the project work is caught up and I finally have a chance to make backups and do the machine maintenance. I could tell from the dates on the last backups, that I've not done any since this past MARCH. [Hmmm. Are you that way, too? Even when you get a day off, it's spent doing the things that you couldn't do during the week.]

During those times when my machines are churning away, my brain can wander to other things. Today it desperately wants to rest.

Because I had my netbook with me today, I accessed an available yet anonymous internet link (flaky connection and unreliable) so I wouldn't interfere with the company routers & servers. I thought it would be relaxing to Google some pictures for future blog posts. Suddenly I found myself looking at pictures that generated feelings of inner peace. They were mostly landscapes, but they all let something between my brain and my soul "rest" as I looked at them. Some of them reminded me of memories I'd forgotten. Beautiful days as a kid spent with family in the woods (getting firewood or picking huckleberries), or those archaeological-survey days working for the BLM or Forest Service, when I would cross over a ridge and suddenly stand within a vista display of God's creation. [Although I didn't know Him at that time.]

I would like to share one of those pictures with you. The following photo is of Hidden Lake in Montana. I'm not sure if I've actually been to this lake, but I remember being to many mountain/glacial lakes in my lifetime that looked very much like this one. Unfortunately, my memory is so foggy that I can't tell you when it was or who I was with, but this photo brings vividly to mind the smells of the mountain air and the trees. Whether I was alone or with a group, I remember stopping to just take it all in... to just "be" a part of the scenery - nothing needing to be done, no obiligations.

It's good to remember that there is more to life than just work. There is also "rest."

------------------------------
Godspeed & God Bless!

7 comments:

Craig and Heather said...

Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.

Craig

atruckersprincess said...

Hello :) Not sure if you remember me, but it is Brie from MtaT. We were in Montana last week and I thought about you, wondering how you were doing. Glad that I found your blog. Hope you are doing well!

Brie

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Beautiful! I want to go there :0)

And hurray for Mr. Squirrel, and his new job.

Julie

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Hi, Brie! I do remember you!

I miss the MtaT people and I try to visit when I can. I'm hoping when things settle down enough that I may be able to participate more often.

You are welcome here anytime!

P.S. My 'moderation' is set only so I don't miss someone's post. I don't often get to this blog either!

Take care!

atruckersprincess said...

I'm not on MtaT anymore. Long story, but I keep a blog also that you are welcome to visit :)

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Brie - Can I find your blog address somewhere? I'd love to keep in touch. Prayer Warriors need support, too!

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Sorry, Brie - My ignorance is showing through... I'll find it via your profile

[insert a head-smack here]
;)