Thursday, April 29, 2010

...Job update...

Well, I'm sorry to say that nothing has really changed. Literally.

**I don't have a job.
**My work-at-home job contact is still sequestered overseas.
**Mr. Squirrel doesn't have a job.
**I've still not seen a penny of my unemployment benefits.

As glum as that sounds, there are a few foundational things that have not changed, but I am hoping WILL change...

I have made an appointment to get into another "unemployment workshop" through the local Job Service. [The workshop should be next Wednesday if the schedules haven't changed.] This "workshop" isn't really a workshop. It is a scheduled "phone appointment". Because of the overwhelming number of unemployed people clamoring to talk to these people, the phone lines are always busy and it takes forever to get responses to emails or snail-mail. This is the ONLY guaranteed way to talk to a human being. So, I'll play their game.

Basically, I have to get the ball rolling again because it seems to have come to a complete stop. I need to find out what more needs to be done to release my unemployment checks. I've already sent them the WorkComp documentation that I have (they signed as received on April 7th) and I still don't understand why or where things are hanging up.

The answer to this question will directly affect my second question: School. Because of Unemployment Handbook regulations, some schooling will disqualify me from benefits. Not only that, some schooling will require you to continue to look for full-time work WHILE you are going to school. I have to learn from them what schooling is or isn't qualifying before I can proceed with any confidence.

Side note: Earlier this week, I contacted Mr. & Mrs. Neighbor's daughter to talk about the fields of Medical Transcription /Billing /Coding. It was an excellent contact and I she gave me A LOT to think about - thus the new research on schooling. [She also very graciously offered to be available for any other questions I might have... as well as encouraging me to keep her informed on the choices I eventually make. Such a very compassionate lady!]

So, the second question will automatically swing around to the first question: If my eligibility is still "pending" am I pretty much out-of-luck as far as making any forward progress? Will I have to get a full time job BEFORE I can get the schooling FOR the full time job? In which case, I would be disqualified for the unemployment benefits in the first place because I would have a full time job.

The hoops you have to jump through are CRAZY.
Many thanks for continued prayers in this situation. Hopefully, someday soon, this blog will show some happy news and revert back to the purpose for which I had hoped: To be a fun place to chat about fun stuff.
-----------------------------------------
God bless & Godspeed.

4 comments:

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Well, I have the appointment. Next Wednesday at 9am. [It's always first come first served, so I have to get on the sign up list when they open at 7:30am.]

The lady recommended that I still try to get through via the phone, but the appointment will be a good backup plan if I can't get through. [She also asked that if I do get through, to call her back and take my name off the list. No biggie.]

So... now we wait... and see how long before the busy-signal gets annoying.

Time for some hot tea, perhaps...

Mrs. Squirrel said...

HEY-HEY!
I GOT THROUGH!

I have taken myself off the workshop list as I now have an appointment to talk to someone at the Helena office on Monday morning. [Gracioulsy narrowed down to "sometime between 7:30am and Noon."]

The lady who scheduled me (after a 20 minute wait once I actually got into the system) told me that the agent who will contact me on Monday will be able to tell me what's going on with my claim and answer my questions about schooling.

So, perhaps I'm another step closer to getting some answers and hopefully getting things to move forward.

Many thanks for continued prayers!
Hugs :)

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh, what a lot of bureaucracy!

Kerry (husband) is still chronically underemployed. He's going to be working for the US Census for the next 8 weeks. Which pays slightly more than McDonald's...

Praying for us all,

Julie

Mrs. Squirrel said...

I'm so sorry that your family is still struggling, too. I have so many friends in the same boat, too.

Hugs & prayers! [...for one and all...]

I'll be updating with a new post soon... the hoop-jumping is not over for me, either.

Why can nothing be EASY? Just for once?