Thursday, July 15, 2010

...First step into a new world...



When searching for a picture to set a tone for my post, I first tried those relating to "new paths", "new directions" or "fresh starts". Although many were beautiful and scenic, the more I looked, the more they just didn't represent what I am feeling inside: Excitement, fear and everything in between. However, when I pulled back and thought of the "absolute basics" of what I'm doing and where I am in my life... the above photo fit perfectly: "First Step."

That "first step" on the moon was an event leading to a future that did not exist prior to that moment. I would imagine that it was filled with "excitement, fear and everything in between." Like those men who set foot on the moon, I am also taking my first step. Perhaps not so grand or such a dramatic mark in the pages of history, but for me, this is my first step into a dramatically different new life and towards an unknown future, but one with bright hope and possibilities.

Today I am officially enrolled in Career Step, LLC's vocational training program to become a Medical Transcription Editor. And, the Training Proposal Committee has graciously seen fit to fund all of my training expenses. [The trade-off is a biweekly update to them for accountability. No worries there.]

Hindsight has pointed out how God has taken careful steps to put this all into motion. Abundant delays and challenges after a traumatic removal from a life and job that I had grown to love. Looking back (wow - 5 months to the day was the lay-off), I know that that job was destructive to me... or at least the fragrant environment. It was damaging my health no matter how much I loved the work. After nearly 14 years in the same job, God knew I wasn't going to leave under my own volition, so it seems that He chose to give me a hard shove. It wasn't a pretty transition, but in time I saw the blessings. Especially the blessings pouring out to me over this past week as everything is finally coming together. Hmmm... That seems to be God's way sometimes though, doesn't it?

I have an enthusiasm waking up inside me and I am looking forward to this new experience. New things to learn, new skills to develop (or old ones used in new more meaningful ways). I don't know what the future holds, but God does. I wonder about the new path He has set before me. I wonder how He will use this in my life and the life of others? Truthfully, I may never know.

However, looking at the uncertainty of my future, I have to look back at that first step on the moon. What if that step had not been taken? We can only wonder what the space program would look like today.

P.S. Now that God has shown me the direction He wants me to go... I wonder what He has lined up for Mr. Squirrel.

-----------------------------------------
God Bless & Godspeed

2 comments:

Craig and Heather said...

I've watched that happen before, when someone wouldn't have left on their own. Looking back God's plan is amazing.

Will continue to pray for you.

Craig

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Woo-hoo! Glad you're moving forward!

My husband was let go from a job almost ten years ago. Seemed awful at the time, but in retrospect... what a blessing. Maybe he too just needed a little shove :D

Julie