Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Update: Passed testing part 1

I got word back from my job-contact. She liked what I had done for the testing and gave me excellent feedback on desired formatting and some things that she wanted changed, not to mention corrections on my “best guesses.” [It probably would be easier if she’d just given me account instructions, but I’ve worked for so long in places where you must “discover the rules” on your own, that it’s no big deal. I’ve just started a list of observations that I will cross-check against her feedback. Eventually I’ll have a set of my own instructions to use as a guide.]

Ultimately, as I appear to have passed the first stage of testing, she will be giving me another test with some more advanced dictations. She also gave indication that we could then begin discussing “starting” me on transcription. In my mind, that translates into discussions about “hiring” me. [Plus, yesterday she asked me to confirm my phone numbers, as she wants that discussion to be person-to-person.]

It almost makes me nervous as this will essentially be the "interview" and the time when I learn about her pay rates and expectations. [They warned us at the school that companies typically don’t give you the pay information until you’ve been tested and they are considering you for hiring.]

In a way, it is funny. I've been given access to the school's post-graduation tutorials for learning how to put together resumes, what to expect at interviews, lists of companies who hire Career Step graduates without further testing, etc. Confession: I haven't done any of it yet, as I've been busy working with the job-contact (and catching up on some sorely neglected housework). Part of me wants to scramble into the training to get that information before I "get the call." Part of me wants to wait and see what happens. [I do have access to the post-graduation materials for a full year from my official graduation date.]

Fortunately, today is shaping up to be a day where I can start looking at that post-graduation material. However, we'll have to see what the day brings. If the testing part 2 comes through, it will take priority.

Have a nice day, all.
------------------------
God bless & Godspeed.

2 comments:

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Today I submitted Testing Part 2 for review.

I'm also planning on getting into the tutorial stuff today... hopefully before I get a call!

;-)

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Woo-hoo! Hope it goes well!