Saturday, November 12, 2011

Update: Testing part 2 still pending

I did get a nice email from my job-contact last night. She apologized for not getting to my files, yet. She's been swamped and hopes to get to the files this weekend. She also added, and I quote, "I really need to get you on board."

To me, this little phrase sets my hopes over the tipping point for consideration for a job. If testing #2 is acceptable, I'm in. It also sounds like my past employment opportunities in that I will be hitting the ground running.

At least in the interim, I did finally get through the Career Step post-graduation tutorial. There was a lot of good stuff in there, and some scary stuff, too. Having only experienced being an employee or a volunteer, the world of independent contracting and subcontracting is quite daunting to me.

I've been researching through the student forums (particularly with the working graduates), and I've been gathering and reading all I can on LLC businesses. This coming Monday, I have a phone appointment with someone who will hopefully give me some knowledgeable advice on whether or not an LLC is even necessary. Most of the transcriptionists I've corresponded with did not go that route and have been quite content.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

For the last year, I've puttered on designs for business cards. In the module about "setting up a business," one of the things they warned about was to avoid "cute" at all costs. I had worked on several ideas that I liked very much, and didn't think were cute. However, the new information is leading me towards something a bit more unique and a bit more professional looking.


This is my latest logo image (cobbled together from bits of free clip art) that will be added to a very standard business card. In a simple way, it highlights my home state as well as my occupation. I may try to play with the idea further, but for right now, this is the winner.

I confess that this was rather an accident as the Gimp program slapped them together in those positions. I would have overlapped the northern border a bit more... if I could have figured out how to do it. [I really need to spend some time learning more how to use the Gimp program effectively.] Truth be told, it was blind luck that got the scroll and feather to go transparent at all so as to show the colors of the state behind it. Unfortunately, the areas that I would re-cut on the state for better centering (the west and north borders) do not exist on the sample. I would need to find another source at this point. However, for the time being, this works for me.
:-)

------------------------
God Bless & Godspeed

No comments: