Monday, September 28, 2009

God moves in mysterious ways... and He has me so confused.

I still thank God for Extra Strength Excedrin (or the generic equivalent).

As far as the adventures at my office, they continue. I wear a mask almost constantly these days and upgraded on 9/18 from the 3m-8210-N95 respirator - dust and fine particles - to the 3m-8247-R95 respirator (w/ a carbon layer) - latex paints and 'annoying odors' - as they've transferred an entire department into our work area (6-10 people) since the beginning of September. And, even with the mask, I've still had a few occasions where I've had to completely abandon my work area for 4-6 hours until people's scents have aged to the point where I don't react as much. [i.e. The more freshly applied a scented product is, the stronger and faster my reactions. Still wet hair-mousse is killer for me! UGH!]

Now, I know that God is sovereign and His plan is perfect in intent and execution... but I am so confused.

On September 15th, I was told a fragile soap-bubble of a rumor that sent my hopes soaring to the heights. A trusted source (the fellow who is deathly allergic - and whose case has been linked to mine because of the fragrance issues) told me that the Work-Comp lady told him that the perfume testing had been completed, the results are back, and it seems that the company has a significant problem with the levels of fragrance chemicals in our air. That information came with a promise that the "officials" will be addressing the issue to the company "in person". I was also told that the results of this meeting would bring the instigation of a fragrance-free policy.

[The drawback is that the company can comply or not, but there are consequences to either choice. If this is "real", and it does "happen", my greatest fear will be the repercussions from the high-school mentality individuals who will blame me for it... even if it was their own choice of actions that have brought on the consequences that will affect an entire company.]

As of today, I'm wondering if this soap-bubble rumor hasn't popped and become just another puff of scented air to deal with. There has been no official word of anything, and it's painfully obvious that there have been no changes in the work place. And, I must confess that things are getting worse in more than a couple of ways...

On 9/21, I had yet another episode where I had to escape to my friend's office.

On 9/22, I was told by my supervisor (without an iota of an explanation) that I could no longer go to my friend's office when I cannot stay in my own work area. I can also no longer use my own laptop. I'm being told I must use a conference room positioned two departments CLOSER to the bulk of the fragrance sources that started this little game. Isn't that kind of them? And I've been given access to my supervisor's laptop that he keeps in his office. [I've not quite figured out how to access it when he's got his door shut and/or is having meetings... Not what I'd call accessible at a moment's notice, that's for sure!]

9/23 & 9/24 were some horrible days that started with extensive fragrances on top of an unwelcome dosage of bug spray (the Cooler-Keeper has a problem with spiders)... and when I reported it (because she was expressly told not to use it again)... I was suddenly accused of lying and spent the majority of two days defending myself. Yet again, I'm being warned of harassment charges and I'm completely aghast at my repeated character assassination. It even set me up for the complete inability to report the two perfume samples (like the ones in magazines) that were tossed into my work area late afternoon on that second day, unfortunately without witnesses. [I had to have one of my neighbor coworkers remove them as I couldn't even touch them.] And with expressly detailed vitriol from the front office, without photographic or video evidence, my word is invalid. [No matter how they tried to convince me that they weren't taking sides!]

[I'm slowly learning that rules are completely flexible and completely unequal in their distribution and enforcement. No matter what is done 'because it's the right thing to do', expect it to be used against you like a 2X4.]

Alas, God's plan continues to mystify as today (9/28) I had yet another block thrown into my path as I had to give back the key to my friend's office that he had given to me for those escapes when he was not there. That completely removes my guaranteed safe area from my options. I really would like to know what God is planning, but right now, I'm just trying to give them absolutely no reason to fire me.

New motto: SHOW UP, SHUT UP, DO MY JOB & GO HOME.

Today, however, God granted me mercy and I only needed my mask for about two hours this morning. That is the least amount of usage in a single day in over a month. I am very grateful... and confess that I'm a little greedy for perhaps another 'better day' tomorrow.

I'll have to keep you posted. I really don't know what is going to happen with all this mess... but I believe that it's going to get messier before it gets straightened out. Any prayers for God's will to be done in this situation would be appreciated. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------

Godspeed and God Bless

No comments: