Friday, October 9, 2009

Update... sort of... a new chapter

A ways back, I was looking for pictures that might represent a migraine. The creator of this image (labeled as Flickr: aldoaldoz) had it pretty close.

... except someone else would be turning the crank and there would be at least three of those clamps in various locations on the noggin. And for me, add a tilt to it.

For my update, I would like to report that I have successfully reached the end of a very stressful week and now stand on the "other side". All in all, the events that generated that stress actually turned out to be much better than I expected (thanks to God's mercy). The hindsight I have now makes me realize that there are some things that I need to do to help me reduce my stress where I can. The migraine symptoms are bad enough by themselves. I don't need to be adding to the problem.

To start, my neurology appointment went well. However, the doctor did not receive either my letter (sent on 9/28) or the test results supposedly sent from the WorkComp girl. My doctor did take the initiative to paw through some unsorted mail (she said they were understaffed) and did find mine. We went through it and she was refreshingly ready to discuss everything and she answered many of my questions. She is also putting me in full control of deciding ultimately what medications and treatment options I want to try. Through our discussions, she is also very willing to write me a 'prescription' for an air purifier for my work area, should I desire to try it. [I'm still inclined to wait for the final results of the air testing... whenever that might be... or wait until after the first of the year so I can prepare a new year of flex claim options. The purifiers that can filter fragrance-type impurities aren't cheap.]

The left "eyebrow" issue was my main concern. Because I had explained that I'd had something similar on the right side when I was first being diagnosed, she was not inclined to be alarmed or overly concerned about it. If it had been a 'first time ever' thing, that would be another issue. So, for now, we will monitor it and if it persists unchanged (or gets worse or does something strange) by the time we meet next (end of January 2010), then we'll discuss options for internal scans (MRI, etc.) to see what might be going on.

In the meantime, because we don't have the air testing results, we talked about medication changes - i.e. I'm not taking anything right now for "prevention". All of the 'fancy' stuff available has side effects that I'm not ready chance - I can't risk not being able to drive right now. So, I talked to her about one of the testimonials that was printed in one of my migraine books. A woman with migraines found relief by simply taking one aspirin per day. [Could it really be that simple?] My doctor was OK with trying the idea and told me that one pill (325mg) daily should be safe for me... and I also verified that it would still be safe with my current migraine-attack medications.

Because of my own self-imposed restrictions on medications, I decided to start small by using the 'baby aspririn' (or low-dose) variety that is only 81mg. That gives me many options for taking less than 325mg and it also allows for variety of taking it at different times of the day, or when I have pain that I can't ignore. For now, as mornings are when people are the most 'freshly fragrant' that is my scheduled 'daily' dose. However, if my head hurts before bed, I'm taking another one for better sleep. [Right now, I'm more interested in getting the pain managed so my body can quit fighting itself and 'everything else', too.]

The other thing I need to do is go back and review my Cognitive Behavioral Therapy notes and start actively exercising those skills. They've gotten "flabby" because I've not been serious about practicing it for almost 2-years. [I was doing well and didn't need it. Why practice?] I also need to dig up my old relaxation techniques and get them updated so they are more user friendly and accessible. These two things together, should reduce the brain turmoil in my head. Less turmoil, the better the chances of healing. The better the chances of healing, the better the chances for reduction in migraine trigger sensitivities. Less sensitivities... oooooo baby... LESS MIGRAINES. That's my hope anyway. [And maybe get this blog back on the light and happy side of life!]

But I've got my work cut out for me on all fronts. I've scheduled to take this coming Monday off from work. A long weekend will go a fair way towards starting on the right path. Tomorrow is also a Grizzly football game (Homecoming) and Hubby gets to join us this time (yea!), so it will not only be a long weekend, but it will be a long weekend with my Hubby! A very rare treat these days.

So, I guess this is the start of a new chapter in the same book. I don't know what lies ahead, but I know that some changes are going to be made on my part this time around. Time will tell if it's going to be a better chapter than the last one. ;)

The voyage of discovery begins... again.
----------------------------

God Bless & Godspeed

2 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I'm glad this doctor is listening and working with you,

Julie

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Thanks! It is a refreshing change of pace, indeed.

... now if WorkComp would see fit to get that letter sent to my doctor so I can learn of the test results. [We've still seen nothing.]

When I talked to my Mom about it, she is fairly convinced that "if they had found nothing, we'd have heard something right away."

It just makes me wonder what is going on, and who is forcing it into the shadows. It's such a mystery.