Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Praise... and yet another prayer request...

Yesterday was quite a day.

Praise: Mr. Squirrel had an excellent first day back at work yesterday. Very little coughing and no mishaps!

Prayer: Without any warning, after nearly 14 years of service, I was called into a meeting and have been officially laid-off of my job. It is involuntary and I can apply for unemployment, but my whole world is reeling... [literally and figuratively.]

UPDATE 2/18 (11am):

Things are scrambling, but I need to touch base with my prayer warriors (for whom I am VERY grateful).

As much as I wanted to hide in a hole and not come out, I've been rather busy. Tuesday I got the unemployment applications completed. Interestingly enough, part of the forms required me to contact the Personnel Officer to get data on the WorkComp stuff. When we talked (which was very pleasant and helpful), I broached the subject of the fragrance testing results - SHE DIDN'T GET ANYTHING EITHER. Go figure.

Our conversation was quite amusing after that, and she decided that she would follow up by finding out where those reports were sent. Later in the afternoon, she called me to let me know that ClaimGirl had apparently sent it to my doctor - twice. Hmmmm. So I suggested we get the name of the doctor and the address to see which doctor got the data. [Such a run-around!] Anyway, during our conversation, I made arrangements to get a copy of my resume out of my file. [The last time I updated it was 14 years ago... and it was hand typed! I guess that is a good indicator that I needed to update it anyway!]

Oddly enough, late Tuesday afternoon, I found out from a friend that there was a job opening in the 'sister-company' that exists in the same building - and my job skills would be well suited for it. I was suddenly thrilled and then suddenly had very mixed feelings about aiming for a job in the same building... owned by the same people... where I'd just been axed. Would I be jumping from one fry-pan into another fry-pan... over the same fire? I spent a lot of time in thought and prayer, and I talked to my friends and family for their thoughts. We all came up to the same point: IT'S A JOB. [And in this economy... that is the bottom line. I have to try.]

So, Wednesday, I dug into the Job Service registration and returned to the office to get that copy of my resume (needed it for the Job Service stuff anyway). At that same visit, the Personnel Officer also gave me the information and application forms for the job opening.

Since then, I've been updating my resume and making a cover letter. Those are completed. Now I'll be digging into the application. Later this afternoon/evening, I'll be meeting with a friend who works in that department who offered to go over my application before submitting it. [She also invited Hubby and me to dinner in her home to take the rush off the evening. She's so nice!] So, after that, with refinements to forms and making copies...

I'll submit the application tomorrow. Whew...
I'll let you know what happens!

UPDATE 2/19 (4pm):

OK... Application packet has been turned in. We'll see what happens... (and I'll start a new post).


-------------------------------------------
God Bless & Godspeed

No comments: