Sunday, April 17, 2011

Squirrel Days: 04/17/2011

This week was so full and so fast that I didn't really work up any notes (except for the classroom entry). So, this entry will be a bit more spontaneous...

Outside my window...
***The weather has not really changed. However, it does seem to be windier. We have had snow on the ground a few days, too. Although, I did take the steps to put the shovels away for the winter! [Hmmm. I guess that could be listed under the personal victory section, too!]

From the classroom...
***I have been learing things about myself. First, I rather enjoy working on surgery reports because they are a fascinating window into the skills and techniques of modern medicine. Second, and I’m not sure why, I have been getting a little squeamish when working on reports dealing with hand surgery and eye surgery. Heart, abdomen, legs, arms, brain... none of those others bother me. Weird huh? [Maybe it is because I'm using my eyes and hands at the time?]

I have also been internalizing something important: I am being given a window into the lives of other people. With that, comes a greater understanding of why privacy laws are so strict in order to protect those people. If you were wondering, yes, transcriptionists are bound by laws, too. In many cases, there are stronger legal constraints (and punishments) for a transcriptionist than for most everyone else just because of the nature of the job.

That being said, even with the school’s all-identification-stripped-away reports, I find myself rejoicing in the personal victories of the cancer survivors; I thank the Military Veterans for their service; and I find myself sometimes shedding a tear for the tragedies of serious injuries and unexpected deaths (via the detailed steps taken by the medical staff trying to save them).

I know that I’m not alone in feeling this way. Some of the graduate students participating in the forums mention that they end up caring about "their" patients. If the accounts are continuous, the transcriber will be following an individual’s progress more closely (through sickness and in health) than they would be able to if they were actually family. Those students mention their own sense of “Wait! Tell me what happened?” if a patient suddenly changes doctors, if they are referred away to another doctor, or for whatever reason stops going to a doctor. Chances are greater that a transcriptionist would not be able to reconnect with that individual.

One thought has ultimately kept bubbling to the surface of my mind: This career will be a completely new prayer field for me. If I can’t share with others, I can always share with God. He already knows these people and their situations, from the patients to all of the medical staff. I don't need to know their names to pray for them.

Stewardship or projects...
***Nothing new to the mix, yet. However, we will need to start the property/yard work once it dries out a bit and the wind dies down. [Open burning is almost gone, but we could get a permit if we have to get one.] I also need to schedule time for church cleaning. We have a community concert coming up soon, and it isn't something that can be done in only one day.

Personal victories...
1.) Five out of seven days with exercise this week. [One of those non-exercise days was interruped by the new visitor... see picture below. I guess running around looking for a camera could be considered a little bit of exercise?]
2.) Two hours shy of a full 40-hour school week was invested, and another 53 reports completed. [At least I know why my fingers have started aching.]
3.) I cleaned my bathroom sink!

What I am doing as Fun-time...
1.) Trying something new: Soaking my feet at least one day a week. Current additive mix is warm water with some epsom salt/baking soda (1:1 ratio, about 3-4 tablespoons per bucket of water). It actually feels pretty nice!
2.) Reading: I'm still reading, “The Dragon Reborn,” third book in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I'm getting close to the end of it, though, and book #4 will be up next.

Thoughts on my mind...
*** Sometimes you really do have to just stop, sit back, and wait for the train to go by before continuing to listen to a dictated report.

Counting blessings...
1.) I'm thankful that spring is getting closer.
2.) As this is Palm Sunday, I'm thankful for the reminders of what this week has meant to the history of mankind.
3.) I'm thankful for my friends and my family (as always).

A picture I would like to share...
This past week saw the return of many critters (another sign of spring). The winter birds are fewer and the finches have returned. We had our first chipmunk visit the seed pan. We also had our first young squirrel checking out our front porch (too skittish yet to eat).

We did have a new visitor, one I had never seen before. I managed to get a photo, which allowed a visit to the bird-book. According to the bird-book, this is a Chukar. A large European partridge. In size, it was close to a pheasant or a small turkey. I'm fascinated by the markings and the subtle blues and tans. A beautiful bird!


Picture source: Me
---------------

2 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh that chukar is gorgeous!

I know what you mean about getting caught up in people's lives. I found the same thing working for the OB/GYN.

Enough snow already!!!

Julie

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Thanks!

Right now, your photos of new snow beat the amounts of snow that we have been getting. We didn't have any snow on the ground this morning, but waking up to another frosty 18-degree morning makes me think that "we're not done yet."

Thinking warm thoughts!
-J