Monday, October 24, 2011

OK... so it's not done.

I never would have imagined it. At least, I am no longer in the grips of panic. I am no longer shaking like a leaf with the adrenaline-dump. My head hurts, but I've taken some Excedrin for it.  [I also ate some lunch, which ended up quite late because food did not sound like a good idea while dealing with the issues.]

Some 3 hours or so ago, I got an email from the school. Somehow, the Objective portion of my Final Exam has vanished.  Poof! Gone!

It was suggested by the school that I submitted the exam using Internet Explorer 9, which their system does not support. However, and I explained as much, I have Internet Explorer 8.  The larger mystery being, once they returned my call and could answer my questions directly, that the transcription and editing portions of the exam were "somehow" saved.

Their explanation: "It sometimes happens. Sorry."

Confession: "Sorry" is not cutting the mustard for me, although feeling that way doesn't change or help the situation in any way, shape, or form.  Once I got past the anger, fear and outright panic (not to mention tears), I started processing  the details and the mysteries, so I recognize that 1.) this isn't my fault. 2.) This isn't the fault of the person who had to inform me of the event. 3.) Where electronics exist... sometimes data gets corrupted or lost.

So, I will prepare to take the Objective portion of the exam again. The staff member asked me if I could take it today, but I was honest and said "no." [Please -- after a shock like that you expect me to have a brain?]  She did give me a phone number to call when I'm ready to take it. Most likely I'll shoot for 9am tomorrow morning.  [I am also planning to call them after submitting the exam...again... to make sure that it submitted PROPERLY this time.

Interesting synchronicity to the Squirrel household:

Mr. Squirrel has a small portion of his driving test to retake tomorrow morning as well.  [He got excellent scores on his skills and road testing, but because he didn't verbally explain his pre-trip checking to the satisfaction of the examiner... he has to take that part again.]

And so... it continues.
All prayers still appreciated
-------------------------------------
God bless & Godspeed

1 comment:

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Had some intersting thoughts during the night. I used to work for a software company where I often did odd-behavior troubleshooting for programs. This exam glitch has potential to help them troubleshoot their program... if they are willing to take some notes.

1. My answers might still be in the system. 2. If they are, simple resubmission might work. 3. If it doesn't, making a change (saving, go back and restore, and save again) might kick it out of its funk.

I've had it work on other software programs, and it might help their tech-people to figure out what happened. Maybe. Worth a shot.

Of course, if the answers are not there, it will be a retake situation and resubmission from scratch... which will also be a testing of sorts.

I'll let you know what happens.
-J