Thursday, October 6, 2011

Prayers... Flight? or Fall?


We've reached the point where it is time to face the cliff... and jump.

October has launched into a flurry of events that have my mind reeling, sleep patterns disrupted, and work hours and output increasing. God is moving in our lives in a big way, but we do not yet have a clear idea of where He is pointing us.

Firstly, allow me to be grateful for the prayer warriors out there.  Thank you! Secondly, allow me to ask that you please continue!  Although there is a lot of detail that I would like to share, at the moment there is no time. So, here is the 'Reader's Digest' version of the most recent events and specific prayer requests:

For Mr Squirrel:

After 2 months of zero replies from that "perfect local job" Mr. Squirrel was hoping for, he got the call (9/29 late afternoon) -- no warm up, no preamble, but a sense of urgency was implied. The job, by the way, is school bus driver.  The perfection, in part, being steady employment with large chunks of the day free for sermon preparation and study.

My heart wants to soar! With that single phone call, he was fast-tracked into (what I would call) the hiring process. Since then, he has been scrambling to fill in any elements not previously accounted for, and jumping through the hiring hoops (background checks, medical stuff, etc.). Unfortunately, he has hit stumbling blocks and governmental delays at nearly every turn. [Why can't people provide ALL of the information and requirements that you need... at the beginning? Or are we always required to run in circles, back-track, and redo as part of the process?

This is where my heart falters: Even with all the initial preparation, I've not heard any specific "you got the job" words.  In my mind, without those words, this is all still up in the air and an uncertainty as to where it will all come down.  However, I also know from personal experience that some jobs begin by hitting the ground running: You go in prepared for an interview, and they put you to work... without the interview. My most satisfying jobs started without really having a starting point.

Specific prayer request: That the path to Mr. Squirrel's employment would be smoothed and the obstacles removed or provision given to overcome them.

For myself:

School has launched into over-drive. I have gone through the pre-final consultation (10/3) and, like Mr. Squirrel, I was suddenly given "new information" that would have been more helpful at the beginning of the course.  [Yes, I have circles to run around in, too.]

For the most part, there were 2 surprises that have put me into a situation that will either catch me full-in-the-face, or it won't be a problem at all.
  • The good surprise: If we pass the final exam on the first try (i.e. 85% or better), it does not matter if our course expires. We are allowed to take the remaining two exam opportunities to better our scores anytime we choose so long as it is done within 6 months. [Though I would never wait that long.]
  • The bad surprise: If we do not pass the final exam, we are required to wait an additional 2 weeks’ time after receiving notification of our failed scores BEFORE they will let us retake the exam. That is a total of 4 weeks before you can take it again... and another 2 weeks after that before you get your results back. [Note: The extra 2 weeks is supposedly for the student’s benefit so as to “not repeat the same mistakes” while participating in an “active plan for practice” that is done hand-in-hand with a member of the staff.]
And here lies my situation: If I pass the first time – no worries. If I don’t pass, the required delays will put me beyond my expiration date (November 15th) and I would be required to get an extension before I could retake the exam.  [Personally, if I had known the information sooner, I could have better planned a few Sundays here and there to get further ahead and leave a solid 2-month block of time at the end of the course... strictly reserved for the final exam process... and any worst case scenarios.]

I did immediately report all of this to my training program contact so she would know what was ahead of us.  [God is soooooooo good.] She replied the next day telling me that the program would cover me if I should need the extension.  [It made me want to cry that the program would be willing to make yet another investment in me.] Of course, it is still my intention to "leap for the top bar" successfully, the first time, but it is an amazing comfort to know that I'm still working over a net... just in case.

Specific prayer request: That when it comes time to take the final exam, that God would grant me focus, attentiveness, a lack of distractions, and the patience to be careful of mistakes (stupid or otherwise).

The Bonus Blessing: I do not know where this will lead, but I have had my first potential job contact (9/28). The transcription company sounds like a small one, but it has been in business for 20+ years.  One of my relatives who has been following my saga came across the opportunity and forwarded it to me. I have had one introductory email with the owner who wanted to know more about the completion dates for my training.  I have not yet received a reply back.

*Whew*

That brings you into the front lines of the battlefield.  I don't imagine that I will have time to post again until after the submission of the final exam. At that point, I'll have 14 days to wait for the scores... and should be able to get at least one post done ;-)

[See comments for updates.]
------------------------------------------------

God bless & Godspeed to you all.

2 comments:

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Since my post, I've participated in a school chatroom forum for questions about the final exam process. I got conflicting information about the 'good surprize.' Here is the boil-down of the 'newest' information via my email to my program contact:

---------------------
Hello (name removed) :-)

I just received a reply back from the final-exam support people. It appears that the chat room information was correct and the web-class information was incorrect. [You’d think it would have been the other way around.]

Here is the news:

1. The answer is “yes.” I must be currently enrolled to take the final exam AND ALL OTHER retake opportunities. The lady told me that, although the staff is given 14 days to correct exams, they do try to get the scores back in 7-10 days. This could be useful if I maintain my current goals, as it would give me two full shots prior to my expiration date... if everything goes well. [If I do really well, I may not need the third run.] [A nice dream to hold on to.]

2. If it doesn’t go as dreamy as I hope, the mini-extension is a very real thing. It is $35 per month for every month of desired extension. [Much less than I expected it to be.] It can only be requested/purchased over the phone, and they gave me the phone number for their Extensions Department (number removed).

Along with the information, there is also a little note that indicates that the extension cannot be purchased until after you have taken the final exam the first time. [This won’t be a problem as I am still current.] The note also says that the extension starts immediately on the date of purchase.

So, all things considered, I think we should stick to Plan A (i.e. do nothing) until we know for sure that we need it. Then, if we do need it, wait until November 14th or 15th to purchase it. That way we won’t waste what we still have. However, you now have the potential costs involved to share with the committee at your convenience. No nasty surprises!

Thanks again for everything!

[Signature removed]

---------------------

Isn't life so much fun?

Always remember:
TRUST, BUT VERIFY!

Mrs. Squirrel said...

More progress:

Mr. Squirrel had a "ride along" opportunity with one of the route drivers this morning, and he will have his driving test next Wednesday (the 19th).

For me: I've been cranking up to 10-hour days to work through my reports. [I had been doing around 5 hours per day before. If nothing else, this is working on increasing my stamina!]

My goal is to finish the reports by Friday night, leaving Saturday and Sunday open for rest and relaxation... and perhaps a little review. Then, plow head-long into the Final Exam on Monday & Tuesday (it's a 48-hour window for completion).

Many thanks for the prayers!