Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Added a search function...

I don't know about my readers, but the longer time passes, the more I notice when I try to locate something I've written, I simply can't find it. That's kind of wild considering that it is my own blog!

I did something this morning that I haven't done in a VERY long time, I prowled through the blogger gadgets. I was happy to find a searching feature. [Actually, there are several...  Wow, I really need to look deeper into those gadgets!] The search function I've added is under the 'basics' section, first page of listings.

Now, I can find my chipmunk stories, or anything I've mentioned about yarn... just by typing the word! So much less frustration and time loss.

Hmmm. I will need to share this information with Mr. Squirrel... His blog is WAY bigger than mine and I can't find things on his blog, either!

Have a nice day, all :-)

P.S. The search function is set to look within 3 areas (shown in tabs after you submit your initial search word(s)): 1. My blog. 2. Sites that I have linked to from my blog. (Warning: This can get some wild results because I've linked to dictionaries, the Bible, Snopes.com and many other vastly searchable sites with nearly unlimited topics. If it gets too noisy, or people let me know that it is going to inappropriate places, I may switch that one off eventually. It currently has a moderate filtering setting.). 3. The blogs that I follow. 

Typing in a word will do searching for all three options... but it can take a little time for it to load.  For now, I didn't link the search to the web, but it is an option to choose (toggle switch) if I want to add it later.

P.P.S. Unfortunately, as I play with it, it seems that posts/articles that come up in the box are not sorted by date.  I'll have to play with it further to see what it actually is sorting by... and whether or not I can influence that.  [In my spare time, of course.]

1 comment:

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Of course... it also means I have to spell things correctly and hope the word I'm looking for was actually used in a post!

Life's little trade offs
;-)