Sunday, July 31, 2011

Finally... an update...

Recently, I mentioned I haven't even had time to send an email to friends and family. I no longer feel guilty as I took care of that today.

As you pretty much already know about weather topics and my knitting excursions, I thought I'd share the school highlights with you.
;-)

------------------------------------
The update parts about school:
------------------------------------
Actually, I do have some schooling “landmark” news: As of 2:30 p.m. on 7/29, the Transcription portion of the training program is done. [All 918 reports! Whew!] Because the Assessment Exam instructions given at the end of the section indicated that it should take 3-5 hours to complete, I opted to take the exam on Saturday 7/30. I’m glad I didn’t try to do it on Friday as it took me 6.25 hours (clocked) to complete. Well, that was when I finally gave up trying to fill in some blanks that I simply could not understand, even after stepping away a few times. [It also does not count the breaks taken to clear my head, a very nice walk to get the blood circulating again, and lunch.] Like the other assessment exams, it will be a week before I get the results back.

As it turned out, this was not just a test on the last section of the transcription training as I expected. [I had already had prior assessment exams for both Clinics and Basic Acute Care, so why not expect one for Advanced Acute Care?] This exam was actually a “dry run” for the Final Exam. It was presented in 2 sections. The first section was objective stuff, multiple-choice questions. The second section was straight transcription, grouped into 4 subsections (Clinics/History & Physical, Discharge Summaries, Radiology, and Operation/Procedure) and each subsection had 2 dictations to complete.

[All of them had... shall we call them... challenging... speakers. Not totally unexpected, but they really shoot down my confidence about the resulting grades. So, I’ll keep hoping I did well, but I’ll not be holding my breath. Besides, all through college, I often did better on an exam if I didn’t actually feel very good about it. I know, strange, but it worked out that way.]

I will officially begin the Editing portion of my training on Monday 8/1.
------------------------------------

I guess in many ways this update is a praise. It is also a prayer.

I really want to do well on the assessment exams (even if they don't count in the grade books). They are a window into how I would do on the Final Exam, which is the ONLY grade that counts in this course. I do imagine that there will be another assessment exam at the end of the Editing training, but I really don't know. The way the course is set up, we don't get a 'preview of coming attractions' until you turn the page and find it.

Thanks for listening!
Have a relaxing Sunday, for tomorrow... is a school day!
:-)
----------------------------
God bless & Godspeed

2 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Wow! You're really getting close!

And WHAT A LOT OF WORK you've done!

Julie

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Thanks!

I'm praying that there will be a good job at the end of all of it... ;-)

-J