Monday, July 4, 2011

A wild hair... and some fun!

First: Happy Independence Day! I pray for everyone to have a safe and happy day!

Sunday afternoons are typically a time for relaxing. This often manifests in going for walks, playing games on the computer, watch movies, or puttering on little things (like laundry) that need to be done. [School days don't often lend themselves to maintaining things like housework.]

Yesterday, I was struck with a wild hair that brought back to mind one of those "sanity-saver past times" that I mention in my profile description... and have not done since I started school. This one is knitting! Although I can knit with needles, I've taken to knitting smaller projects on my Knifty Knitter looms because they are easier on my hands.

After church, I was suddenly taken with the idea of starting a Knifty Knitter project (or two), most likely inspired by the cold-floor mornings we've been having. Cold floors = cold feet. I still need to replace my slippers and Mr. Squirrel blew his slippers out again recently. His slippers are like mine, not much there to repair anymore. ;-)

I'd forgotten how fun Knifty Knitter is to use... and how easy!

I wrapped up slipper #1 for Mr. Squirrel this morning. The "donated" yarn colors ended up being bright green and gold (If you are familiar with the SCA, they are perfect "Kingdom of the Outland" colors). The gold was originally going to be part of a House Griffindor (Harry Potter) scarf, but the maroons all got used for Grizzly gear projects in the interim. [The University of Montana football team colors are maroon and silver.]

Although I'd love to just knit the day away, I've got school work today, so I'll work on slipper #2 in the evenings. If all goes well, Mr. Squirrel's slippers should be done for his birthday :D

Side note: I really don't have yarn that I've purchased. I've got a large basket of yarns and yarn-remnants that I've accumulated from former knitters and people just "getting rid of stuff." As I use them up, I'm trying to save the colors that I can actually wear (winter-color basics like the reds and blues) for clothing or hat/scarf projects. Slippers tend to get the colors that I can't wear (because no-one is going to see them in a public setting). However, I still try to put colors together that look good ;) The slippers I'll be making for myself (this time around) will be a mint-ice-cream green and a pastel baby blue. [In the right light, they almost look like the same color... but neither are good colors for me... but they do look OK together!]

Most of the smaller bits turn into granny squares and eventually into afghans... random various colors can live nicely in that setting :D

OK. I need to get back to school. Have a nice day, all!
----------------------------------------
God Bless & Godspeed!

4 comments:

Carrie G. said...

I ordered the knifty knitter looms. What instruction book(s) did you purchase? You've inspired me..I love your blog :)I am planning on making slippers for my husband and my 2 yr old and 4 yr old son's.

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Hi Carrie G. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine :D

The slipper pattern that I've been using was a bit hard for me to relocate. I guess the original site is gone. [Originally, I just did random searches for Knifty Knitter free patterns and it popped up.]

I did find a link to a blog that has republished it. Near the top of the page is a link where you can "Download my free Knifty Knitter Slipper Sock Pattern via Ravelry.com:

http://yarngear.blogspot.com/2005/03/knifty-knitter-socks.html

[If the link doesn't connect, just copy it into your browser search bar. It should go to the Yarngear blog page.]

Really the only instruction book I had was the basic hat pattern that came with the Round Looms (4 in the set). I did eventually pick up a purple "long loom" which also had a little booklet showing one scarf pattern.

Being honest, the most useful instruction for me has come from internet searching for patterns, and believe it or not, people sharing Youtube videos!

I really am still a beginner as far as being 'technical' on the Knifty Knitter. I have seen people do cables and patterns, but I've no clue (yet) how to translate knitting needle work to the looms.

Someday I hope to learn, though!
-J

Mrs. Squirrel said...

P.S. The smallest round loom I have is the "blue" one. It is a roughly 5-inch diameter hoop. It's good for adult size feet.

You might need to see if they make smaller hoops for tiny feet.

Best wishes!

Mei Travis said...

Nice slippers!