Monday, July 25, 2011

More puttering...

When it gets hot inside the house (we don't have air conditioning), the brain doesn't concentrate on school very well. Right now, it's about 85-degrees in the house.  Not to worry. It's over 10 degrees warmer than that outside. So, I thought I'd share some additional play-time with you.

Over the weekend, I started digging into boxes to find knitting & crochet patterns and things to encourage my brain to play a little. [Not to mention finally getting everything into one location, and it's still not all done!] In that foray treasure hunt, I found little proto-projects (i.e. sample patterns) that I'd entertained over the years for making toys or gifts. I also found bags with left-over yarns from completed projects.

As the hunt continued, I found a bigger knitting project that I had started back in 2005 during a particulary rough onslaught of funerals that Mr. Squirrel and I endured (which included the passing of both of our fathers... within 33 days of each other). The knitting project was just an extra wide scarf in the most uncomplicated stitch (knit one row, purl one row). No patterns, no nothing. It was a baseline sanity saver; something to let my hands work when my brain was so numb I couldn't think on anything, or a retreat when I simply didn't WANT to think on anything. I actually worked on it for several months and probably got 75% of it completed... then life kicked back into full speed... and I never touched it again.

Fortunately, with my recent re-ignited love of knitting, the little tug-of-war with myself that happened when I rediscovered the unfinished project didn't last long. The battle for finishing it outweighed the memories that it brought to the surface. [Thankfully, enough time has passed that the memories coming to the surface are more fond than they are sad.]

So, Sunday afternoon, it began -- again. Picking up the needles and the yarn, I found that I actually had to go back to the books and relearn how to knit, how to purl, and how to cast off. That much time had passed, and unfortunately, I tend to hold the yarns differently than anyone else I've encountered, so first I had to figure out how "they" do it. Then, I could go from there and rediscover how I used to do it. That hurdle behind me, it all came back with the incredible ease.

The only bad news: After a few hours of working the rows, I found that I really didn't want to finish such a boring (if beautiful) piece (monotonous pattern, monotonous color). At the same time, I also didn't want to start working on a new project when I had a perfectly good one in progress. So, creator's perrogative: I changed the plan.

The original plan: An extra wide scarf, long enough to put pockets at the ends for hands to tuck into at football games.

The new plan: A hooded scarf/cowel.

Although my hands always get cold, and the scarf with pockets might have been the better idea, this was a faster finish. So, here is the final product.

[I'm also quite glad that my first SCA helmet -- the closest thing I have to a human head -- doesn't mind the hot temperatures and makes a reasonable display
The current length allows me to wrap both 'wings' around my neck to meet in the back, like a bulky cowel. I may eventually crochet more rows onto the ends to make it longer (purples and reds would be pretty). However, right now, it may be better for wearing underneath coats, so length may not be necessary. [Not planning to test that until the temperatures drop again!]



Luckily, this blue is in fact darker than the blue in the slippers. I can get by wearing this color better than the other (and the white crochet border helps, too -- added to tame the natural curl of the knitting, an oopsie in the original plan that I hadn't allowed for).

Although I think a warmer color would have been a better choice, I had a huge 1-pound skein of this very soft yarn gifted to me... with the unknown size of the original/final project, it was a no-brainer what color I was going to have to use! 


But for an experiment, it turned out not-too-bad.
 ;-)

3 comments:

Carrie G. said...

Mrs.Squirrel, I am so impressed by your latest project. I have bought the yarn and the knifty knitters but have yet to find the time to start on those lovely slippers you have made. I wish you lived close so that I could have you show me how to bring it all together. I look at the pictures and instructions but I wonder if I am able to complete this. My four year old asks me mommy when do I get my slippers? He even picked out the color of the yarn. His two year old brother has been such a challenge lately that all my time and energy is devoted to correcting and guiding him. The rest of the day is busy with cleaning and wash and by the time my husband gets home from work around 10:45pm I struggle to listen to his twelve hour day. However, when I finish a slipper I will let you know. May the Lord bless your family. I bet if you started a knitting class and charged a small amount you probably would have many students. :0)

Mrs. Squirrel said...

You are a very sweet lady Carrie G. Thanks for the kind words!
:-)

[Note: The last project was done on needles, not on the loom.]

Personally, I'd REALLY recommend starting with a hat or a scarf pattern, especially with your hectic schedule. These are more straight-forward and a little better for getting a feel for the hoop(s) and learning the techniques for wrapping the yarn (and holding it -- it does escape often!), and using the hook. This was where I started. [Actually, I specifically started with the simplest scarf pattern... one long tube, no changing or skipping pegs or anything intricate.]

WARNING: SOMETIMES THE PEGS FALL OUT IF YOU TUG TOO HARD. Just push them back in. [And make sure the little ones don’t eat them!]

It really does help to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run. [And it will take the fun out of it if you have people expecting you to "fly" right off the bat.] Also, know that no matter where your instruction comes from, you'll eventually find what works best for you (wrapping direction, yarn holding and hook-work). YouTube has many brave souls who want to share their knowledge, and most all of them do it their own way!

Simply Google “knifty knitter youtube” in your browser and start watching!

If it helps, also remember that these projects I've worked on are sanity-savers for me; opportunities to "step away" from the noise and obligations of "life." Sometimes it is a shield between me and the world (something to hide behind). Sometimes it is simply indulging my selfishness of wanting to do something for myself. When I knit, it's "me time" (even if I'm in a crowd of people).

HOWEVER, all that being said, it can be a wonderful blessing to be able to lovingly share what your time creates!

Also, I don't have children underfoot, so I had more time to putter and learn. Be gentle with yourself. This is a time to have some fun and learn something new. It may also be an excellent time to begin teaching the little ones that some things take time...

Oooo... here's an idea: Learn it together (with the older one)! Start with a scarf pattern and work on your first projects together! [The smaller the hoop, the more narrow the scarf.] Lessons with practical experience and the process of working towards a goal can last a lifetime!

Best wishes
God bless!
:-)

Mrs. Squirrel said...

P.S. The basic hat pattern will also teach you the starting and finishing aspects for the slippers!

Once you learn those aspects, the heel turning process is the only thing remaining (and that took me several tries, and it's still in the refinement process).

;-)