Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mr. Squirrel

Here are the completed slippers as worn by Mr. Squirrel.

And thanks to a road-trip to town (about an hour going one way), I've also started working on my own pair. The road-trip allowed me to get about 1/2 way done with the first slipper.  [Note: The two colors I've chosen from the "donation basket" are really going together BEAUTIFULLY, much better than I ever expected!  Pictures will be posted, I promise!]

I suddenly find that I have to be careful, though. I'd forgotten that long stretches of knitting tend to stiffen up my fingers and wrists. Right now, and probably for the far future, and I need to save fingers and wrists for typing... So I just need to do smaller stretches of knitting in any single setting.  [i.e. No more than the equivalent of one really long movie, or two shorter ones.]

;-)

6 comments:

Carrie G. said...

Dear Mrs. Squirrel,

Could you please let me know where you got your knifty knitter patters? I purchased the looms and would like to make my husband some slippers also.

Thanks in advance,

Carrie G.

The Hibbard Family said...

There are fingerless gloves that use the body heat from your hand to keep your fingers, hand, and wrists loose while you sew. When I hand sew with them on, I can sometimes triple my sewing time with hardly any stiffness. I think the hubby found them for me at Hobby Lobby, but I can't remember exactly what they're called. I'll see if I can look it up for you.

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Carrie G.
Sorry I didn't get to your post. I've added a link to the pattern on your first post and my new post today.

Happy knitting!

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Ann: Yes, please. I would be interested in learning more!

The Hibbard Family said...

I found them! They're called Hand Mates. I can't remember how much we paid for mine, but I know mine did not come with two in a package - just one. Anyway, here's an ebay link where someone is selling a package...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-PAIR-HANDMATES-SUPPORT-GLOVES-CRAFT-GLOVE-SMALL-/400149883047

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Thanks Ann! Interesting little items. I'd started thinking of knitting something similar a few years ago, but never had the time to play with the idea.

[My former work place used to have faulty heat in the winter and excessive air conditioning in the summer. Both made a need for fingerless gloves for computer typing.]

Hmmm... I may have to revisit those ideas again ... now that it is back in my mind again!

:-)